Shortly after I posted about yesterdays appointment I got a call from a nurse at my clinic. She told me that my progesterone levels had increased to a 1.6 and if they reached a 2.0 tomorrow they would still do my retrieval, but my fresh cycle would be cancelled and I would have to freeze all my embryos and do a frozen embryo transfer (FET) in 4-6 weeks.
As quick as you can say FET I of course, had a meltdown. Now, is a FET any better or worse than a fresh transfer? Not really. In fact, my clinics FET success rate is 3% higher than a fresh cycle. Why? Supposedly because your body gets a break to get back to normal after being pumped full of meds, and therefore is a better place for an embryo for transfer. The nurse even told me (which I barely was able to comprehend since she said “cancel” that’s all I could think about) that many clinics around the country were doing away with fresh cycles all together and doing only FETs.
Did any of this help me? No. I was a wreck! I immediately got off the phone with the nurse, and turned to the worst place to get clarity-Google. I had no idea about this “rise in progesterone causing cancellation of fresh transfer” business and I needed to educate myself. What I found out was that it was common for this to happen with women who produced a high amount of follicles in an IVF cycle. Since follicles around this time will start secreting a small amount of progesterone on their own, mine were doing this x20.
So I spent all day yesterday worrying, crying…and Googling. I barely slept. We had an appointment today for ultrasound and bloodwork and according to my nurse, todays bloodwork would determine whether or not I could do a fresh transfer in a week or have to wait 4-6 weeks. When I sat down to have my blood drawn the nurse had a hard time finding my vein because they kept ‘rolling’ (barf) and my other arm is so bruised from having blood drawn every other day. She decided to give me some water and have me to do my ultrasound first. As soon as Matt & I were behind closed doors I lost it. I couldn’t contain the tears from having to be poked and prodded anymore. To be so worried about my progesterone level, and to have my dream of having this embryo transfer snatched away from me and postponed.
Enter Dr. Murray, my original RE. We had not seen him in so long and once he asked how I was I unloaded on him. I told him I was sore, bloated, tired, worried, etc etc. I am pretty sure Dr M thinks I am a HUGE basket case (maybe I am) but he told me I shouldn’t worry about the progesterone yet because it was only at a 1.3! Apparently, I had misheard the nurse in my panic and although I wasn’t in the clear yet, 1.3 is way better than 1.6! I calmed a little and he explained to Matt and I why having progesterone at the right level is key to transfer time. It’s a lot so I will spare you all. He also measured my follicles and we are good to go and cleared for retrieval Wednesday! Yay!
At noon my nurse called me and informed me that my level had gone to only 1.5 and we were are okay for fresh transfer She said no more stressing. Whew!
I wish that nurse wouldn’t of called me yesterday in the first place, because all it did was worry me for nothing!
me, yesterday and this moring